Pleated Tank Top

I decided to dig through my cubby hole of sewing fabric and found a tank top I had started sewing but abandoned.  The fabric was thrifted and is a light rayon-type with nice drape.

I put it on to remember why I abandoned the project and quickly realized the reason -- the neckline was too wide (This seems to be a common problem I have in sewing).  I decided to try to salvage this shirt by pleating it in the middle.  I measured the center of the blouse then folded a piece from the left and from the right toward the middle.


That turned out well, but then of course I had to clean up the neckline.  I have lots of extra fabric, so I decided to make bias tape and attach the bias tape to the neckline and armholes.

When I was done, I had this clever idea of creating hook and eye closures down the front of the blouse to make it more form fitting but still making it easy to put on.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to attempt that or just leave it as is.  I love the way it turned out.  In fact, I think it's my favorite out of all the shirts I've sewn in terms of comfort.  Now if I could just figure out how to do this again...

I'd like to explore the idea of using hook and eye closures or something to create pleats and a different wear option for a blouse or dress.  I also want to try to make a dress.  Maybe I'll experiment with the rest of this fabric.

Comments

Popular Posts