Convert-A-Shirt

I got sidetracked by what I had thought would be a quick, fun project -- convert a long-sleeved dress shirt of my husband's into a sleeveless blouse for me.  Turns out it's not as easy as it seems, mostly because of armhole issues.  I started out by cutting off the sleeves, which is what revealed those gaping armholes, and removing the collar, which seemed a bit stiff and bulky.

I then decided to use some of the patterns I already had for ladies shirts to try to get the general shape of the bodice.  So far, the only type of bust dart I've done is one from the side seam, but the armhole gap was still so big that I had to add a second one from the armhole, meeting the first dart.  The trick to not getting a point at the nipple, I think, is to make the armhole dart end before the point of the side seam dart.  I may have to adjust mine a bit so that they don't meet at the same point.  Either that, or sew on pockets.

 
The buttons left gaps in certain areas, so I ended up removing buttons from the cuffs and bottom of the button stand and added in a buttonhole between each pair of existing holes.  It looks more feminine to me, even if the buttons are on the "wrong" side, if you care about that sort of thing.

I tapered a bit too much at the waist, so this shirt is more fitted than I intended.  I still like it, and for some reason I like the collar completely button up.  It makes an interesting neckline that leaves a gap in the back.  It reminds me of the way a kimono leaves a gap at the nape of the neck.








Comments

Popular Posts